Saturday, April 28, 2007

Sticks and stones may . . . . .
Last week I was called a liberal! I have lived a good number of years thinking such a travesty would never occur. It happened during lunch with two business associates. We were having a pleasant time and the conversation worked its way around to politics. One of my lunch companions launched an attack against "those environmental nutcases" that would have done Ann Coulter proud. I did not comment verbally but did raise my eyebrows at one of his outbursts. He was sitting across the table and noticed my expression. He gave me a hard look, but did not comment.

A little later we were talking about the 2008 elections and the various potential candidates. I have some opinions but could not seem to get an opening to share them. These guys were really serious — serious like the election is next month rather than next year. Since I could not talk, I listened intently and found myself thinking I was watching a program on Fox News. I guess I smiled at the thought and one of my friends thought I was offering some "know-it-all grin." Thinking I was in disagreement with the orthodox positions being expressed, he turned and said, "Well, it looks like we have a liberal at the table with us." I was a little stunned at first. Several years ago I would have angrily launched a defense of my conservative credentials. But I just grinned all the more and enjoyed my salad.

I realize the comment about me being a liberal was made primarily to provoke me into discussion and give me an opportunity to prove my fundamentalist Republican pedigree. I was not angry but I could not identify my feelings at the moment. What did trouble me as I reflected later on the exchange is how typical our lunch table discussion has become. I can’t remember a time in the past year when I was involved in a serious conversation in which the individuals disagreed but were willing to calmly debate the issue. I used to have these all the time. What has happened? I’m not exactly sure but I think it has much to do with the proliferation of talk radio/television which has almost destroyed the concept of "friendly disagreement." Even our everyday conversations are peppered with "sound bites" and "labeling." During the lunch conversation mentioned previously, I, and anything I had to say, was effectively neutralized by the label: liberal.

I am beginning to wonder if we are serious when we say things like "I would like to hear the candidates engage in debate on the issues." I’m not sure we would recognize it if it happened.

No comments: