Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"And do not forget that we are drifting."
Jefferson Davis (J. D.) Tant was born in 1861 in Marietta, Georgia. His father and three uncles were all were CSA soldiers and fought for the Army of Northern Virginia. The family lost their farm during Reconstruction and moved to Texas to make a new start. J. D. felt the call to ministry as a young man. He served for awhile in the Methodist church and then became a circuit preacher for the churches of Christ. His effective ministry brought him much attention. Though he was unrefined and plain spoken, (he was actually banned from publishing articles for almost ten years because he used the word "bull" in a sermon) he was sought after to preach and lead meetings all over the southeast and into Arizona and New Mexico.

He was a contemporary of, and well known by, the men who founded David Lipscomb College. He spent a good deal of time in middle and west Tennessee and preached for several long seasons in Bellevue. I am working on some family history but I’m not sure yet if we are directly related to J. D. We do know that my grandfather’s family had deep roots in the churches of Christ and some of them came from West Tennessee. In fact, I have an uncle who is also J. D. Tant, though the initials stand for Joe Donnie and not the illustrious president of the Confederacy.


The quote used as title for this post was one that J. D. used to close many of the articles he wrote for the Gospel Advocate magazine. It also showed up in some of his sermons. He was very much a traditionalist in the churches of Christ and his theological arguments and debates over a wide variety of issues were numerous. It seems that his use of this quote was to remind people that, in the Christian life, coasting is rarely an option. For most of us there is a current in the world that will quickly move us to a new location if we are not striving against it. He and I would surely be in disagreement as he applied this to the need to live outwardly a holy life in order to be saved. Where I think J. D.’s warning does ring true, however, is in our daily understanding of the gospel. I find that if I don’t "preach the gospel" to myself afresh every day, I begin to loose contact with its reality. I begin to believe that God will not really forgive my sin this time — this hundredth time or this millionth time. His patience has to finally wear thin with me and He will give up. That’s the message my spirit receives when I don’t remind myself of the incredible truth that, because of what Jesus has done, I am loved unconditionally. Otherwise, I am drifting . . . . .

2 comments:

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

It would be neat to find out that we really are related to this guy! I love his quote ... good encouragement to keep on a-truckin'!

bestfriend said...

this is great!
danew