Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Toxic Talk
I have been working on a defense of why I still make New Year’s Resolutions and had hoped to post it by now. But it’s not ready so I throw out these thoughts. Yesterday was a historic day in the life of our country. Barack Obama is now President Obama. I’m old enough to remember when John Kennedy took the oath of office and made his very quotable speech. The excitement and optimism across the country was palpable. The same was true yesterday. Our country is in trouble and, for the moment, President Obama is our best hope. It seems that a broad spectrum of our people is willing to give him a chance, even if they did not vote for him.

I was in a meeting during the ceremonies and got into my truck in time to hear the last five minutes of his speech. The station to which my radio was tuned usually has a “conservative” talk program during that time slot. Within thirty seconds of the end of the speech, the host of the program was back on demeaning the speech and the person who gave it. I’m sure that he believes that is what he is paid to do but I immediately turned the radio off and gave thanks for my resolution not to listen to this type of hate speech this year. I am convinced that “conservative” talk radio has become a dishonest, divisive, and potentially destructive part of our culture. It is truly Toxic Talk and I am done with it!

2 comments:

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

I agree about talk radio. I immediately thought of your resolution when I saw the title of your post - I'm glad you came to your senses and shut it off! ;-)

Phil. 4:8 - "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."

Kinda hard to do that when all you hear is negative. Not that we shouldn't hold leaders accountable or dismiss any criticism. But talk radio is not really out to reconcile and approve, now is it? It's out to get ratings and listeners and fame!

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

LOL, I meant "improve" not "approve." The mom brain strikes again.