Friday, April 23, 2010

Rhythms vs. Schedules
"At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun."

This is a very unscientific post – it is about feelings more than facts – observations more than measurements. I have been struggling for over a year trying to live my life by rhythms rather than schedules. I experienced this idea of rhythms when I visited the monastery last year and felt the tranquility of the monks as they went through their day of prayer and work. On a few days I have succeeded and it truly felt good and natural. Early this week I discovered the above quote while looking for fun sayings about the beach. It definitely has a resonance with me. There is a certain peace we feel in our spirits when we are in tune with the rhythms God created in us. There is tension, frustration, and a lack of completion when we live by artificial schedules. I observed this while spending time with people in Africa. Our group was on a “schedule” and everyone around us was on “Africa time.” Guess who was experiencing more of God’s peace and joy?

4 comments:

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

ok, so did you SEE my post yesterday? lol (on my blog, that is)
i totally hear ya. i almost included a paragraph about your inspiration to apply the monastic rule to your daily life, but had trouble editing it down.
love ya

Mike Tant said...

Jen, I actually read your post after I wrote this. I just made a brief comment on you blog but I could have said much, much more - most of which would be sharing a lifetime of frustrations in the same areas. People I know who are no smarted than me and, to my knowledge, have no hidden source of energy, get more done than I do and seem to be relaxed most of the time. They are not good with schedules or "to do" lists but there is rhythm to their lives.
Love you,
Dad

Anna said...

just finished reading the book Margin, this post recalls what he says about American life style and schedules, and while I don't want to give up running water and electricity, there is no question there are great benefits to living life on island time (or Africa time as you put it :)

DCAja said...

love this blog!
karni