Sunday, December 8, 2013


A Cold Day in December
Softly passes the days and the years,
Not much different from all those before;
But then comes that sacred day
That changed the world, our lives, when we lost what we adore!

An Advent morning bright and clear,
An Advent morning full of heavenly expectation and worship,
An Advent morning changed to mourning,
O the ripping of my heart and soul – could I have changed this day with hyssop?

Advent is a time of hope and waiting,
I have neither – only pain and unbelief;
My world has changed, my son is gone,
My only companion, most unwanted, is grief

The date of remembrance menacingly appears on every calendar,
We cannot skip or fail to remember;
The day our joy succumbed too early to death’s demand,
On this cold, cold day in December.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,
What a beautiful and heart felt lamentation from a grieving father. I grieve with you my friend. I can only imagine the pain and sorrow you must feel. You are loved my friend.

Kai Stewart said...

I remember this day every year and always pray for you and Dianne.
I loved getting to know Andy while we were going to Covenant.
Your poem is painfully beautiful.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.